Managing fluorosis requires interventions by way of safe drinking water and proper nutrition. The disease is preventable through these interventions.
Availability of safe drinking water
Drinking water could be made available to people through the following methods.
- Identify sources of safe water.
- Rainwater harvesting.
- Removal of fluoride from water (defluorination).
- Prevent or minimize fluoride pollution and disposal by industries.
Fluoride removal from water
Entails bringing down fluoride levels to the required level through water treatment. Fluoride reduction can be achieved through –
- Water treatment at source ( at municipal supply level).
- Water treatment at the community level.