Some of the path-breaking initiatives taken by the government in this regard:
- National Health Mission (NHM) improves availability and access to affordable and quality healthcare, particularly for those residing in rural areas, the poor, women, and children.
- Ayushman Bharat health insurance scheme provides free healthcare services to the poor and underprivileged sections of society.
- National Programme for Health Care for the Elderly (NPHCE) provides separate, specialized, and comprehensive healthcare to the elderly, including outreach services.
- Immunization against various diseases, includes measles, polio, and tetanus.
- Malaria eradication
- National Tobacco Control Program (NTCP) reduces tobacco use in India.